Marketplace and Consumer Trends
- 78% of Millennials said they would rather stay in with their tightly knit circle of relatives and friends instead of going out.
- Movie ticket sales had declined 6% since 2016, while home entertainment saw a rise of 11%.
- Nostalgia-driven programming was seeing an uptick in viewers–over 80% of consumers were choosing to watch TV shows and movies that they’d already seen.
- Learn new skills, such as cutting their own hair or grooming their pets: hair clipper sales rose 166% the first week in April 2020.
- Discover hobbies – crafting, sewing, and bird watching are some of the new pastimes.
- Bake and cook from scratch – comfort foods such as banana bread, pancakes, pizza, meatloaf, lasagna, and brownies made it to the top ten list of Google recipe searches in April 2020.
- Self-entertain – lawn games, volleyball sets, pool accessories, and roller skates are among top recent Google searches.
- Take self care more seriously, e.g. through meditation, fitness, and relaxation – outdoor furniture, hammocks, exercise bands and fitness equipment, as well as CBD and lavender products are seeing a surge in sales.
Relax indoors or outdoors with this stylish hammock. Whether on your city balcony, on your back patio, by the pool, in the park, or on the beach, you can forget your worries of the day and relax in the hammock. The Headdemock Sunbrella hammock can be used by two or three people, and like most hammocks, does not require a tree or a pole. It even includes a carrying case to make it easy to move to another location.
Gartner/Iconoculture; IKEA Home Study; Zimmer Radio & Marketing Group; Nielsen; Google Rising Retail Categories
RECENT NEWS POSTS
The Road to Net Zero
NEWSLETTERS RETURN TO NEWSApril 2021The Road to Net ZeroAwareness is growing in how small actions can make a big difference if everyone participates. While converting consumer concern about climate change into action has been a challenge in the past, now is an...
Tech for Today
NEWSLETTERS RETURN TO NEWSMarch 2021Tech for TodayThis year’s first virtual Consumer Electronics Show highlighted the tech industry’s quick response to a crisis, with more practical solutions that meet the needs of consumers’ reality today. The Consumer Electronics...
NEWSLETTERS RETURN TO NEWSFebruary 2021Get Outside and Play!America’s renewed appreciation and love for the great outdoors will continue into 2021 as consumers seek exploration, discovery, play, and healing through the wonders of nature.Winter or not, here they come!...
NEWSLETTERS RETURN TO NEWSNovember 2020Shopping With Purpose Small Business Saturday is no longer a one day, hometown event.While Small Business Saturday became a national holiday 10 years ago, consumer sentiment for “Shop Small” has never carried more meaning than it...
The Spirit of
NEWSLETTERS RETURN TO NEWSNovember 2020The Spirit of Gifting Consumers may be taking a more thoughtful approach to holiday shopping and gift-giving this season.With the retail industry predicting that consumers are likely to spend less this holiday season, it is more...
NEWSLETTERS RETURN TO NEWSSeptember 2020The Home AdvantageFire up the grill and put on your favorite team jersey to kickoff “Homegating” Season 2020!Tailgating typically kicks off the football season for many sports fans or for anyone who enjoys a good party with...
NEWSLETTERS RETURN TO NEWSJuly 2021Hello Flexcations!So long “Staycations” and hello “Flexcations!” Carry-over PTO, more flexible work locations/workations, past-year savings, and a pent-up desire for a “real” getaway are inspiring travelers to take longer, extended...
NEWSLETTERS RETURN TO NEWSJune 2021Backyard LivingPeople are sprucing up their outdoor spaces and turning them into kitchens, living rooms, and even offices. Building on 2020 momentum, homeowners are enjoying more time outside and are paying more attention to...
NEWSLETTERS RETURN TO NEWSMay 2021 Nature Calling America’s love of the great outdoors is thriving in 2021 as walkers, hikers, backpackers, mountain bikers, and paddle boarders are taking to the trails and waterways this Spring and Summer seeking new destinations to...